Amazing pictures of puppy who swallowed 20cm STEAK KNIFE – and survived

ArtistNews – Vets were stunned when scans revealed Staffordshire bull-terrier Lexi had scoffed the deadly serrated blade.

This incredible X-ray shows a massive 20CM-LONG steak knife swallowed by a puppy – which miraculously SURVIVED.

Vets were stunned when scans revealed six-month-old Staffordshire bull-terrier Lexi had scoffed the deadly serrated blade.

Her owners had initially sought help because they thought she had a tummy upset but things took a dramatic turn and Lexi was rushed into surgery.quoted from:mirror.co.uk

Skilled vets at the Animal Referral Hospital (ARH), in Sydney, Australia, spent 45 minutes painstakingly inching the blade back up Lexis’s oesophagus and free of her vital organs.

ARH medical specialist Dr Jody Braddock said: “I’ve never seen anything like it, we knew that Lexi’s best chance for survival would be to remove the knife as soon as possible before it could cause more damage.

“But to do that required a team effort with my veterinary technicians, guiding the endoscope with its camera in such a way that we could see the serrated edge and the tip of the knife and prevent it from cutting Lexi’s tissue as it was slowly and gently inched out with forceps.”

Amazingly Lexi needed just three days in intensive care while doctors ensured she could swallow without pain and guarded against infections or unexpected bleeding.

She’s now on strict bed-rest for the next 10 days.

Lexi’s owner said it was a mystery as to how the knife came to be in Lexis stomach.

She said: “I thought she was going to die, our vet said to rush her straight to the Animal Referral Hospital and they were amazing.

good dog

“We’re so grateful to Dr Braddock and the technicians who saved Lexi’s life.

“Lexi’s always grabbing things to hide under the couch and play with them when we’re not looking – so that’s the only thing we can think of.”

Dr Christine Hawke, ARH’s veterinary dentist thinks there may be another reason Lexie was ‘dicing with death’ when chewing down on the knife.

She said: “I noticed from the vision immediately that Lexi had a mal-occlusion, which is a common condition in some breeds where the dog has a sore mouth because their teeth push into their gum…and to stop the pain they’ll often bite on something hard, although on this occasion Lexie definitely bit off more than she could chew.”

Amazing pictures of puppy who swallowed 20cm STEAK KNIFE – and survived | indri rahayu | 4.5